I now teach from my lovely home studio in Surrey where students can immerse themselves in ‘Jennyland’ surrounded by embroideries, threads, supplies, books and the eclectic treasures which are the sources of my inspiration!
Classes are held approximately one week a month with a maximum of 6-8 students per day, ensuring maximum one-to-one attention. Some students attend once a month, some just several times a year, and others travelling from further afield may book a block of days.
Students have travelled to have studio lessons from Italy, Germany, Iceland, Australia, Japan and the USA.
Each day, students bring a variety of projects; some working my designs, and others working
‘IT IS ENDLESSLY REWARDING TO SEE OTHERS LEARN TO FIND PLEASURE, FULFILMENT, RELAXATION, ESCAPISM
AND FRIENDSHIP, THROUGH LEARNING
THE ABSORBING ART OF STITCH.’
their own designs from the tiny to the very large! Students of all levels are very welcome, from beginners to advanced. Many students also commission me to design for them before working the piece under guidance in class.
Classes are booked privately in the autumn for the following year. However, spaces fluctuate throughout the year and new students may thus join the studio cohort as places arise. For further information, please get in touch.
EXTERNAL WORKSHOPS, CONFERENCES AND LECTURES
I have provided innumerable workshops for many embroidery groups around the UK and the world including New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the USA and France. Whether for Embroiderers’ Guild, WI, embroidery conferences (or similar), or for groups of private individuals wishing to learn a topic together, passing on the skills and, equally importantly the love I have for this subject, is extremely important to me.
Workshops are very flexible and can be tailored to cover the requirements of the group, whether that be a small bespoke class for a few students, or for a larger group. Topics covered include, but not exclusively: stumpwork/raised work (contemporary and 17th century style), all aspects of whitework embroidery, goldwork and metal thread work, brooch making, creative shadow work, needle painting etc. I can provide a very broad range of designs for students to work or can work with students to create their own designs.
‘THE MEDIOCRE TEACHER TELLS. THE GOOD TEACHER EXPLAINS. THE SUPERIOR TEACHER DEMONSTRATES. THE GREAT TEACHER INSPIRES.’
LLIAM ARTHUR WARD
I have also provided illustrated lectures about my career and work, to many groups – both small and large – over the past 20 years. These include the 30th Anniversary Wanaka Embroidery School in New Zealand; lecturing at Te Papa Museum in Wellington New Zealand; and providing the Gala Dinner lecture for the Beating Around the Bush international needlework conference in Adelaide run by Inspirations magazine in 2012 and 2014.
For further information on workshops or lectures, please get in touch. Information on regular workshops and forthcoming events can be found on our Facebook/Instagram pages as and when they become available.
I have the pleasure of teaching regularly for the following organisations. Please follow the links provided to request more information on current courses:
KEY BOOKINGS FOR 2021:
- 22-29 Sept: A week long workshop at the wonderful Alpine Experience, Chalet Calluna, France. Mixed projects
- 6 October: Zoom lecture for San Francisco School of Needlework, book here
- 4 – 5 December: Workshop for Lincolnshire Textiles
- 20-21 December: 2 day Stumpwork Christmas Fairies at RHS Wisley
- 4-5 December: Workshop and lecture for Suffolk West Embroiderers
KEY BOOKINGS FOR 2022:
- 17 January: Zoom lecture for Ashbourne Embroiderers
- 17-25 February: The St Andrews Retreat with Lady Anne’s Needlework Retreats
- 12 February: Workshop for North Kent Embroiderers
- 16 March: Online goldwork workshop for Brandywine Chapter, Embroiderers Guild of America
- 8th-12th June and 15th-19th June: 2 x 4 day workshops (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sun) at the magical Parham House in Sussex with a bespoke design based on the embroidery collection and accompanying study and talk about the collection, organised by Jenny. Please contact me to join the interested list and obtain further details
- 3 – 17 July: Lady Anne’s Needlework Festival, Appleby, Cumbria with The Crewel Work Company, studying brand new designs created for the festival: Elizabethan Mitten, the Thistle Étui, and a further opportunity to study the Wordsworth Harp Needlecase
- 16-26 August: 2 weeks of workshops at the The Bath Textile Summer School, studying Jenny’s three dimensional embroidered birds
- 5-12 October: The wonderful Beating Around the Bush International Needlework Conference, Adelaide, Australia. Projects to be announced
KEY BOOKINGS 2023 – DETAILS TO BE ANNOUNCED
- 25 January: Zoom workshop for Textiles & Stitch Around Marlborough
- 11 February: Lecture for Romford Embroiderers
- 17-18 February: Workshop for Embroidery Now, Winchester
- February: Workshop for Needles & Sins, Williamsburg
- April/May: The World Needlework Convention, Honolulu, with Needlework Tours and Cruises
- 15 – 16 April: The Wye Weekend workshop with Kent Embroiderers
- 24/25 and 27/28: 2 workshops for Richmond and Leyburn Embroiderers
- 14-16 July: Summer School for York and Humber Embroiderers
- August: The Bath Textile Summer School