I now teach from my lovely home studio in Surrey where students can immerse themselves in ‘Jennyland’ surrounded by embroideries, threads, supplies, books and the eclectic treasures which are the sources of my inspiration!
Classes are held approximately one week a month with a maximum of 6-8 students per day, ensuring maximum one-to-one attention. Some students attend once a month, some just several times a year, and others travelling from further afield may book a block of days.
Students have travelled to have studio lessons from Italy, Germany, Iceland, Australia, Japan and the USA.
Each day, students bring a variety of projects; some working my designs, and others working
‘IT IS ENDLESSLY REWARDING TO SEE OTHERS LEARN TO FIND PLEASURE, FULFILMENT, RELAXATION, ESCAPISM
AND FRIENDSHIP, THROUGH LEARNING
THE ABSORBING ART OF STITCH.’
their own designs from the tiny to the very large! Students of all levels are very welcome, from beginners to advanced. Many students also commission me to design for them before working the piece under guidance in class.
Classes are booked privately in the autumn for the following year. However, spaces fluctuate throughout the year and new students may thus join the studio cohort as places arise. For further information, please get in touch.
EXTERNAL WORKSHOPS, CONFERENCES AND LECTURES
I have provided innumerable workshops for many embroidery groups around the UK and the world including New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the USA and France. Whether for Embroiderers’ Guild, WI, embroidery conferences (or similar), or for groups of private individuals wishing to learn a topic together, passing on the skills and, equally importantly the love I have for this subject, is extremely important to me.
Workshops are very flexible and can be tailored to cover the requirements of the group, whether that be a small bespoke class for a few students, or for a larger group. Topics covered include, but not exclusively: stumpwork/raised work (contemporary and 17th century style), all aspects of whitework embroidery, goldwork and metal thread work, brooch making, creative shadow work, needle painting etc. I can provide a very broad range of designs for students to work or can work with students to create their own designs.
‘THE MEDIOCRE TEACHER TELLS. THE GOOD TEACHER EXPLAINS. THE SUPERIOR TEACHER DEMONSTRATES. THE GREAT TEACHER INSPIRES.’
LLIAM ARTHUR WARD
I have also provided illustrated lectures about my career and work, to many groups – both small and large – over the past 20 years. These include the 30th Anniversary Wanaka Embroidery School in New Zealand; lecturing at Te Papa Museum in Wellington New Zealand; and providing the Gala Dinner lecture for the Beating Around the Bush international needlework conference in Adelaide run by Inspirations magazine in 2012 and 2014.
For further information on workshops or lectures, please get in touch. Information on regular workshops and forthcoming events can be found on our Facebook/Instagram pages as and when they become available.
I have the pleasure of teaching regularly for the following organisations. Please follow the links provided to request more information on current courses:
Key bookings for 2019:
Key bookings for 2020:
- 15-31 January: India Embroidery Workshops and Textile Tour 2020
- 1-3 March: The Stratford Residential with the Crewel Work Company retreats.
- 12-24 March: Teaching tour for the Embroiderers’ Guild of Victoria as part of their Jubilee celebrations.
- 27 March – 4 April: The Embroiderers’ Great Escape, Orewa College, Auckland, New Zealand and follow-on classes on the Coromandel Peninsula.
- 21-25 May: Rhythm of the Needle: the 2020 National Seminar of The Embroiderers’ Association of Canada, Inc. (Association Canadienne de Broderie, Inc.
- 1-2 June: 2-day stumpwork workshop at RHS Wisley. Details available from 20th November 2019 on the Wisley website.
- 10-12 July: York and Humber Embroiderers’ Guild Summer School, Stumpwork Buildings and Birds
- 14-16 July: workshop for The 4 Nations Tour with the Crewel Work Company retreats
- 10-14 August: privately-run stitch retreat in the Derbyshire dales.
- 17-21 August: The Bath Textile Summer School
- 3 Oct and 7 Nov: North Kent Embroiderers’ Guild Workshop
- 17-20 and 26-29 October: privately-run stitch retreats at Kingcombe, near Dorchester
- 7-8 Dec: 2-day stumpwork workshop at RHS Wisley. Details available from 20th November 2019 on the Wisley website.
KEY BOOKINGS FOR 2021:
- 17-26 February: The St Andrews Retreat with The Crewel Work Company retreats.
- 15 March (Talk), 24th March (Workshop, Whitework Buttons) for Phoenix Stitchers, Petersfield
- 25 April – 3 May: The World Needlework Convention, Honolulu, with Needlework Tours and Cruises
- May: The All England Tour Part I, with the Crewel Work Company retreats.
- 14 June: Workshop for Marlborough Embroiderers Guild.
- 3 – 17 July: Lady Anne’s Needlework Festival, Appleby, Cumbria with The Crewel Work Company
- 16-20 August: The Bath Textile Summer School
- 25 Sept – 1 Oct: The Alpine Experience, Chalet Calluna, France, details to follow
- 14 – 22 October: The Autumn Retreat, Windermere, with The Crewel Work Company
- 4 – 5 December: Workshop for Lincolnshire Embroiderers’ Guild