I now teach from my lovely home studio in Surrey where students can immerse themselves in ‘Jennyland’ surrounded by embroideries, threads, supplies, books and the eclectic treasures which are the sources of my inspiration!
Classes are held approximately one week a month with a maximum of 6-8 students per day, ensuring maximum one-to-one attention. Some students attend once a month, some just several times a year, and others travelling from further afield may book a block of days.
Students have travelled to have studio lessons from Italy, Germany, Iceland, Australia, Japan and the USA.
Each day, students bring a variety of projects; some working my designs, and others working
‘IT IS ENDLESSLY REWARDING TO SEE OTHERS LEARN TO FIND PLEASURE, FULFILMENT, RELAXATION, ESCAPISM
AND FRIENDSHIP, THROUGH LEARNING
THE ABSORBING ART OF STITCH.’
their own designs from the tiny to the very large! Students of all levels are very welcome, from beginners to advanced. Many students also commission me to design for them before working the piece under guidance in class.
Classes are booked privately in the autumn for the following year. However, spaces fluctuate throughout the year and new students may thus join the studio cohort as places arise. For further information, please get in touch.
EXTERNAL WORKSHOPS, CONFERENCES AND LECTURES
I have provided innumerable workshops for many embroidery groups around the UK and the world including New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the USA and France. Whether for Embroiderers’ Guild, WI, embroidery conferences (or similar), or for groups of private individuals wishing to learn a topic together, passing on the skills and, equally importantly the love I have for this subject, is extremely important to me.
Workshops are very flexible and can be tailored to cover the requirements of the group, whether that be a small bespoke class for a few students, or for a larger group. Topics covered include, but not exclusively: stumpwork/raised work (contemporary and 17th century style), all aspects of whitework embroidery, goldwork and metal thread work, brooch making, creative shadow work, needle painting etc. I can provide a very broad range of designs for students to work or can work with students to create their own designs.
‘THE MEDIOCRE TEACHER TELLS. THE GOOD TEACHER EXPLAINS. THE SUPERIOR TEACHER DEMONSTRATES. THE GREAT TEACHER INSPIRES.’
LLIAM ARTHUR WARD
I have also provided illustrated lectures about my career and work, to many groups – both small and large – over the past 20 years. These include the 30th Anniversary Wanaka Embroidery School in New Zealand; lecturing at Te Papa Museum in Wellington New Zealand; and providing the Gala Dinner lecture for the Beating Around the Bush international needlework conference in Adelaide run by Inspirations magazine in 2012 and 2014.
For further information on workshops or lectures, please get in touch. Information on regular workshops and forthcoming events can be found on our Facebook/Instagram pages as and when they become available.
I have the pleasure of teaching regularly for the following organisations. Please follow the links provided to request more information on current courses or to make a booking. Please contact me to request a bespoke workshop or for further details on any of the events listed below
KEY BOOKINGS 2023:
- 17-29 January: India Workshop and Textile Tour, with Needlework Tours and Cruises, tour visiting Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, bespoke project for workshop in Delhi PLACES AVAILABLE
- 11 February: Lecture for Romford Embroiderers
- 24 February – 6 March: bespoke workshops for private embroidery group, Williamsburg USA
- 17-18 March: Workshop for Embroidery Knally, Winchester, details to be announced February:
- Dates to be finalised: 2 x 4 day workshops (Wed/Thu/Fri/Sun) at the magical Parham House in Sussex with a bespoke design, The Parham Owl Etui, based on the embroidery collection and house; with accompanying study and talk about the collection, organised by Jenny. Please contact me to join the interested list and obtain further details
- 24/25 and 27/28: 2 workshops for Richmond and Leyburn Creative Stitchers
- 14-16 July: Summer School for York and Humber Embroiderers Group
- August 14-18: The Bath Textile Summer School, The Parham Owl Étui
- September 25-29: workshop at Blair Castle, Perthshire with bespoke project design based on the collection of Lady Evelyn Stuart Murray, with accompanying private tour and study session. Based in the historic ballroom in the castle. Organised by Jenny. Please contact me to join the interested list and obtain further details
- October 5-15: The World Needlework Convention, based at the London Hilton in Paddington, London. Organised by Needlework Tours and Cruises in association with Inspirations magazine. Jenny will be teaching her Parham Owl Étui, the Gawthorpe Needlecase and Beatrix Potter’s Hilltop Garden. Full details at https://www.needleworktours.com.au/convention/2023-world-needlework-convention
- 26-29 October: 4 day retreat workshop at Eastwood Hall Spa, Nottingham, mixed techniques contact me to join the interested list and obtain further details
- 31 October – 3 November: private workshop, Northampton
- 9-10 November: 2 day workshop for South Downs Creative Stitchers, project TBC
- 11 November: 1 day workshop for Sussex Stitchers, Bexhill, project TBC
- 26-27 November: private workshop, Rugby, mixed techniques
- 30 November – 2 December: RHS Wisley, project TBA
KEY BOOKINGS 2024:
- 22-24 February: RHS Wisley, project TBA
- 15-17 March: private workshop, northern UK
- 13-14 May: 2 day workshop for Harrow and Hillingdon Stitch and Textile Group, project TBA
- 18-19 May: private workshop, Bicester
- August 12-16: The Bath Textile Summer School
- November 11-15: The Bath Textile Summer School, the winter version!
- 26-27 November: private workshop, Rugby, mixed techniques
- 28-30 November: RHS Wisley, project TBA